Hirdetés

2024. május 2., csütörtök

Gyorskeresés

(#1363) Arpee78

Arpee78
senior tag

Befutott a ketobarát Angela Stanton válasza, egyébként ő magyar, csak már nem annyira érti a magyart. Az alimentós Meleg Sándor egyelőre ennyit válaszolt: Kérek egy kis türelmet, fogok válaszolni mindegyik pontra.

Compared to official recommendations by USDA the ketogenic diet is better because
• More healthier, because the 45-65% CH is too much for human body.
***It is healthier but not just because the CHO about is much lower but also because of the type of CHO is better quality. Meaning 5 carbohydrate gr from a potato is not the same as 5 carbohydrate gr from an avocado. The potato--even in such a small amount--is much more harmful that the same amount of carbs of avocado.

• The chances of diabetes(t2) are lower.
***chances of diabetes in ketogenic diet is zero--assuming sugar substitutes are not consumed

• Improves the condition of diabetics.
***this is yet to be confirmed by more studies--my experience with the people I work with is "yes, it can reverse diabetes (or at least can put it to remission"

• Better brain functions and not just for epileptic patients. People are smarter with ketogenic diet.
***the ketogenic diet is much better for brain function. People are not "smarter" but have better cognitive abilities than if they ate a CHO heavy diet, have better focus, but most importantly, ketones are the preferred fuel by the brain. As a result, it is regenerative. So myelin damage heals (this is the benefit in epileptic seizures) and ketones inhibit GABA, reducing excitability and therefore anxiety.

• Better for high blood pressure.
***on day 3 of a 3-day fast, the blood pressure and heart rate both drop significantly. I don't know anyone with high blood pressure so don;t have direct experience. We must also add that the ketogenic diet comes with an amazing burst of energy so people tens to exercise more, which then lowers blood pressure. Not sure if these are separable without controlled studies. It is also important to note that the heart doesn't use glucose. It's preferred fuel is fat or ketones, so in general the heart will work better in the ketogenic diet.

• Better female fertility.
***yes, this has been shown to be true, because it puts PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) into remission and reduces inflammation, both of which contribute to infertility

• Weight loss is easier for most people.
***this I didn't find to be true for all. For some people the ketogenic diet doesn't provide weight loss--this includes me. I suppose genetic type that matters more. I can see a lot of people losing weight but a subgroup of people, the ones I work with, who are migraine sufferers, for them this doesn't appear to be the case. I must add that most migraineurs are not obese and not even overweight. I can only bring my example: I am below my "genetic weight" so not fat and not even overweight per se, but want to be about 5-10 kg less. I have been on the ketogenic diet for 3 years and the total weight I lost is 4,5 kg. I started very heavy exercises 6 months ago--weight lifting, weight training, resistance training, and kickboxing--and in the past 6 months I lost about 1 kg... so not everyone loses weight on the ketogenic diet. Of course, if one fasts a lot, one will lose weight. However, as a migraine sufferer myself, over 3-day fasting comes with blood pressure and heart rate drop, and that is undesired for me. So there are some people for whom the above statement is not true.

• It's just as easy to follow. Keto diet isn't risky for a layman, and isn't more prone to error.
***this is also not true. I find that many people with whom I work (even those who have no migraines) can get into major trouble with severe reactive hypoglycemia as well as extremely high "runaway" blood ketones. I now require from all my FB group members and all my private clients to monitor (via blood) both blood glucose (bs) AND blood ketones (beta hydroxybutyrate or BPHB) to ensure safety. They need to report any bs and BOHB levels if out of within the range I set as acceptable.

In addition:
• The positive effects of fibers are arguable but have negative effects.
***I think fibers are only necessary in the carbohydrate diet, which consists of a large amount of indigestible materials, such as cellulose, which gut flora can use to generate butyrate and other useful fatty acids for the human body. But in ketosis, where these fatty acids are generated by the human body (butyrate is a ketone precursor), the need for a strong (or any) gut flora is questionable. To my understanding, so far there have been no research studying the effect of a pure ketogenic diet--but pure I mean one that contains no vegetables and no fruits. This is equivalent to the "carnivore" diet of eating just meat, seafood, fat, and dairy, and potentially some minimal nuts and seeds.

• The sodium/ potassium ratio is more important than the absolute salt intake.
***this is what is suggested in much literature. In my experience this is not true. It seems that depending on the person, the diet, and lifestyle, individuals may differ greatly. On the SAD diet, the ratio is more important because the diet is inflammatory, making the arteries and veins inflexible, so an increase in blood volume can cause major trouble. However, in a diet void of inflammatory substances, more sodium is needed to keep the body hydrated--potassium reduces blood volume, and is undesired. For some people, such as migraine sufferers, much more sodium is needed because their brain is much more stimulated.
I have just received my certification for LCHF/keto nutritional training a few weeks ago, where sodium was discussed. On a non-fasting regular day, in the keto diet, 5000 mg sodium is recommended (this is twice the USDA); on a day of fasting, 7000 mg sodium is sugested as the ideal sodium for keto. My personal experience very much supports this as people in my groups and myself measure what we eat and I usually end the day at 5000 mg sodium when not fasting (I always have 16+ hours fasting but I don;t count that fasting).

Copyright © 2000-2024 PROHARDVER Informatikai Kft.