2024. május 1., szerda

Gyorskeresés

(#1373) S_x96x_S

S_x96x_S
őstag

"An Interview with AMD’s Forrest Norrod: Naples, Rome, Milan, & Genoa"

"But for the removal of doubt, Genoa is the Zen 4 design. Here's an exclusive:
the one after that is another Italian City. I know you're shocked."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14568/an-interview-with-amds-forrest-norrod-naples-rome-milan-genoa

amit tudunk, hogy a DDR5 más socket-ben jön.
"DDR5 is a different design. It will be on a different socket. We've already said Milan is a mid-2020 platform, and we've already said that's socket SP3, so DDR4 will still be used for Milan. "

és az OPTANE is szóba került. Azért a köritést is érdemes elolvasni.

"Q: .... One of those aspects is volatile memory and Optane. What can AMD do in this space, or is it worth it the customers that you're going for to do some sort of non-volatile memory?

"A: ..... So the other aspect of course is lower cost per bit. They’ll use it as DRAM replacement and the fact is that it has longer latency and non-uniform latency, and so there are a bunch of issues there. Now withstanding that it is close enough that we can use it as DRAM replacement, I'd say there was probably more interest in that 12 months ago when DRAM price were at a historically high level. Today there is less interest in that now as DRAM prices have come way down and I do think that DRAM/memory is a commodity market, and commodity markets have a very set of economic rules. The cure for high oil prices is high oil prices right? You know because that increases production and that brings the oil prices back down. The prospect of Optane being a replacement for DRAM in of itself would bring the cost of DRAM down, regardless of the current market factors in play today.

But there are a lot of other storage class memory (SCM) technologies which are in development. I think that you will see SCM settle into a niche of the memory hierarchy over 2-3 years and I think that there will be a lot of choices, not just Optane. But I don't think it's the be-all and end-all. I think that that Intel has made a horrific mistake hitching their system architecture to a propriety memory interface. :Y I think that they've made a key strategic mistake. :Y
"

[ Szerkesztve ]

Mottó: "A verseny jó!"

Copyright © 2000-2024 PROHARDVER Informatikai Kft.